Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Forever On the Hips

In the movie “Steel Magnolias” the characters of Clairee and Truvy are discussing the state of the Mayor’s wife’s features as she is dancing at a wedding reception. The conversation goes as follows:
Clairee: “Looks like two pigs fightin’ under a blanket."
Truvy:   “I haven’t walked out of my house without lycra on these thighs in twenty years.”
Clairee:  “That’s because you were brought up right.”
I think I may have been channeling that scene this past Saturday. I was honored to be a bridesmaid (at my delicate age) at my lovely friend Lea’s wedding. I wanted to do her proud and look my best. Given that I’m nowhere close to my goal weight, I thought I’d give Spanx a whirl. This supposed light-weight girdle has been the talk of stars and TV anchors for quite a while, and so encouraged, I bit the bait. I think it would have been less painful to have had liposuction without an anesthetic, but what do I know?

At 8:30 in the morning my hair was done, make-up in place and my dress was pressed and ready to wear. I had to be at Lea’s home by 9:00 to help her with her wedding gown, and I had saved the putting on of the Spanx until the last possible moment. I should have given myself another two hours. Confidently placing both legs into the Spanx, I began to pull, and pull, and strain and, did I mention pull? By the time I had them to my waist (and these were the “high tops”), I had sweat all of the make-up off my face and was close to passing out. When I finally had them completely on I felt like a trussed chicken. To top off my um…torture, I had decided to wear the minimizer bra. I couldn’t help but wonder where all this suppressed flesh had gone. I kept turning in circles like a cat chasing its tail while I looked in the mirror. Surely there was a balloon of fat sticking out somewhere.

I couldn’t find evidence, or any bubble of fat escaping from the sides or tops of the devices I was wearing, but I did notice changes. My dress seemed to drape a little looser, but what had happened to my derriere? Instead of having buttocks, I had gone to BUTTOCK! IT looked like a shelf had attached itself to my backside. I was close to hysterics! As I started to bend over to put on my shoes, I was reminded of something my girlfriend Evelyn told me. My Mama once told her, “Don’t ever wear a girdle, once you start, you’ll never stop.” Funny, Mama never mentioned that to me. I was puffing like a steam engine and I couldn’t bend over. This was going to be one interesting day.

The wedding went off without a hitch. It was lovely, just like the bride and I was proud to have been included in her most special day. I have to say I walked down the aisle before her with my head held high, mostly because the Spanx give you excellent posture. If you try to bend, something will snap. That presents a problem with the whole sit down and eat portion of the reception. And eating while wearing Spanx? Not sure that I would recommend it. The food felt like cannon balls being stuffed into too narrow a shaft. Going to the bathroom was out of the question. It would have taken me an hour to undo and then "do-up" my trusses. I’d have missed all the good parts of the reception. I looked longingly at the knife when the bride and groom were cutting the cake. I imagined the relief I would feel if someone would just cut me out of the vise encasing me.

For seven hours I wore the Spanx. When I returned home it took almost as much time to get them off as it did to put them on. I had seam lines permanently etched on my body. I can say without a doubt that I’ll be redoubling my efforts to lose weight now. I never want to shove, pull, push, or stuff my body into a pair of Spanx ever again. Breathing is seriously underrated, not to mention sitting down. I think I’ll go burn those suckers now, but the seam lines look like they’ll be forever on my hips.


3 comments:

  1. I once had to call my husband in to help me get out of a girdle. It was the single most embarrassing moment of my married life, and laughter saved the day. Humor is the best way to get over anything. Thank you for making me laugh, and reminding me we're not all lycra free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I told you to wear something you would be COMFORTABLE!!! Sounds like you were more uncomfortable than me in my strapless bra and lace-up (corset!) dress!! You looked wonderful and your advice, guidance and help were priceless. I was honored to have you as a bridesmaid. Love you, Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say been there, done that, and I swear only skinny girls wear that crap! Oh Mary, it's coming off, it will, you've made your mind up. It didn't get there in a day and it won't leave in a day...but either way you're you...just healthier and faster!

    ReplyDelete