Tuesday, July 12, 2011

CAUTION! Cinching Capris and Celebrations Conflict!

Well nuts, or better yet, ice cream cake, tenderloin medallions topped with blue crab meat and bĂ©arnaise sauce, freshly steamed asparagus, baked sweet potato loaded with butter, sugar and cinnamon, and let’s not forget the cheese cake, chicken salad, pimento cheese, and ah…celebratory beverages. Admittedly, the cheese cake WAS low carb, it didn’t have a crust, but oh that creamy dream of dairy! No one can have just one slice. This is what was consumed, along with a breakfast or two, over a period of forty-eight hours at the best friend’s house while we reveled over her birthday weekend. As the old Alka-Seltzer commercial used to proclaim, “I can’t believe I ate the whole thing.”

I earnestly believe my capris were in a state of shock on Monday morning, and my digestive tract cursed me fluently with gurgles and moans. I’m not sure I’ve recovered yet.  The scales still show a four pound weight loss, but no more. Celebrations can bring your best laid plans to a standstill. Every congratulatory moment seems to abound with heaping amounts of tempting FOOD. Have a birthday? Here’s your cake. Anniversary? Dinner for two. Kid's party? We have pizza. Getting married? Here’s your reception with the sit-down dinner. Oy! Even if I didn’t have a love affair with food, how could I resist, it’s all around me. (Yes, it is indeed all around me, on my hips, my thighs…you understand.)

Here’s the deal. Since I’m not on a planned weight-loss regimen like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, it’s imperative that I make healthy choices and work out as often as my mad, mad world will let me. I really don’t want to pay to weigh in somewhere, or have different food in my household for me and something else for the rest of the family. There will always be celebrations accented with heaps and heaps of food. I should be able to step up to the plate, and load it, if you will (‘cause you KNOW I will), with a reasonable amount of decent choices.
The key is balance. I’m still teeter-tottering, but I won’t stop trying. I took a bit of a downward slide this past weekend and I’d be a liar if I told you I didn’t enjoy it. Still, the best part of the entire weekend was being with my friend, and I want to share as many celebrations with her as I can. If I can keep the perspective as to what is important, maybe I can keep a little cake too.






1 comment:

  1. You are so right - the best part of the celebration was being with my friend! Though I am grateful that the skinny teenage boys love birthday cake and finished it off for me, which allowed me to look like the sacrificing Momma and stop overindulging. It's hard....so hard, but we can do it! Anybody know where to find a grape and carrot cheesecake?

    ReplyDelete